Art and History Museums
Musées d'Art et d'Histoire are three museums and monuments listed as historic buildings because of their outslanding. There are composed of two mansions (one of the 17th century, the other of the 18th century) and an abbey (11th century - 18 th century).
Around 1790, Paul-Michel Thibault (1735 – 1799), the architect of le havre fortifications and hydraulic engineer, decided to build a mansion in the wealthy and coveted district of the city.
In 1800, Martin Pierre Foache, a wealthy merchant, bought the house as a winter residence and installed his trading office there. He asked another architect, Pierre Adrien Pâris, former designer for the king, to decorate the interior.
The façade is typical of the architecture of the Louis XVI period. It is extremely carefully designed ; the parquet flooring of rare and exotic wood adjoins stone-tiled floors with geometric designs. The rooms are laid out around a central octogonal light-well.
The abbey church of Graville is considered as a materpiece of the Romanesque art in Normandy. It went through several periods of construction since the tenth century.
Victorius of the battle of Hastings alongside William the Conqueror, Guillaume Malet de Graville, and his family, fostered the development of this religious monument.
In the museum, we can see one of the most beautiful medieval statuary and a collection of more than one hundred models houses from the nineteenth century.
Dubocage de Bléville Hotel Museum
After a nine-year voyage to China, merchant seafarer Michel Joseph Dubocage de Bléville (1676 – 1727) came back to Le Havre and purchased this mansion. With his son, he created there an important merchant shipping firm with a cabinet de curiosités. In the museum, temporary exhibitions about Le Havre’s history and maritime trade can be discovered.
The seventeenth-century main buildings look onto a French formal garden.